26 C
Lagos
Thursday, May 28, 2020
Home News Rwanda's most-wanted genocide suspect Felicien Kabuga arrested in France

Rwanda’s most-wanted genocide suspect Felicien Kabuga arrested in France

French police have arrested Rwandan businessman Felicien Kabuga, believed to a key financier of the country’s 1994 genocide. The 84-year-old was found living under a false name in an apartment near Paris after decades on the run.

Kabuga, once one of the richest men in Rwanda, was detained by French security forces on Saturday morning. The 84-year-old had been pursued by international justice for 25 years over crimes allegedly committed during the country’s civil war.

According to Rwandan prosecutors, Kabuga used his companies to import machetes and gardening tools knowing they would be used as weapons in the wave of violence that killed some 800,000 Tutsi and moderate Hutus in the East African country. He is believed to have established the notorious Interahamwe militia and provided training and equipment used in the massacres.

“Felicien Kabuga is known to have been the financier of the Rwandan genocide,” French police said in a statement.

Kabuga was also behind the creation of Radio Television Mille Collines that broadcast propaganda to incite the violence during the deadly 100-day killing spree.

Most wanted man

The ethnic Hutu businessman had been living under an assumed name in a flat in Asnieres-Sur-Seine, just north of Paris, apparently with the help of his children.

On Saturday, French police said Kabuga “had with impunity stayed in Germany, Belgium, Congo-Kinshasa, Kenya, and Switzerland” since 1994.

In 1997, the UN’s International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda indicted Kabuga on charges related to conspiracy to commit genocide, persecution and extermination. He became Rwanda’s most-wanted man and is the subject of a $5 million (€4.6 million) bounty offered by the United States.

In 2015, the Rwanda tribunal formally closed and its cases have been given over to Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (MICT).

‘Strength of determination’

Kabuga is now expected to be transferred to the custody of MICT and stand trial. Chief prosecutor Serge Brammertz said that his capture “underlines the strength of our determination.”

“The arrest of Felicien Kabuga today is a reminder that those responsible for genocide can be brought to account, even 26 years after their crimes,” said Brammertz.

The 1994 genocide was triggered by the assassination of then-president Juvenal Habyarimana. At the time, Kabuga was part of Habyarimana’s inner circle and his daughter was married to one of the president’s sons.

Two other top suspects linked with the Rwanda genocide – former defense minister Augustin Bizmana and military leader Protais Mpiranya – remain at large.

SourceDW

Leave a Reply

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

RCCG Ready To Comply With Govt Guidelines On COVID-19

The Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, has said that it is ready to adjust its service in compliance with the guidelines from the...

Italy Set To Decide On Serie A Resumption Thursday

After weeks of wrangling, with several U-turns on the way, Italy is due to decide on Thursday if and when its top-flight Serie A...

NBC Sanctions 31 Broadcasters For False Covid-19 Info, Hate Speech, Obscenity

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has fined three stations over broadcast of misleading content on COVID-19 and also sanctioned 28 others for other violations...

China Bans Ighalo From Returning As Man Utd Deal Expires

Odion Ighalo has been banned from returning to China, according to the Daily Mail. Foreign players may not be able to return to the country...
%d bloggers like this: